SMG Lead Cook 1 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
POSITION: Lead Cook I
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Sous Chef / Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
This position requires advanced knowledge in all cooking techniques with experience in restaurant cooking and banquet cooking. Basic experience in Garde Manger is also required. May be expected to work alongside and direct a culinary staff of two or more on a restaurant line or in a full service banquet kitchen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Include the following. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned.
- Responsible for the production of menu items, maintaining adequate par levels and making sure kitchen staff has the food product and supplies need for each event.
- Works directly with the Sous Chef to have all components of the meal ready at the appropriate times.
- Must be creative and consistent in food presentations.
- Responsible for supervising Cooks in all aspects of restaurant production and kitchen sanitation.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean and safe kitchen during their entire shift.
- Responsible for communication between the A.M. and P.M. shifts especially when dealing with items that require long cooking times and planning for upcoming events. This will be done with the support of both Sous Chefs and Banquet Chef.
- Responsible for making sure that all recipe questions be directed to the Sous Chef, and or the Executive Chef.
- Follow and make sure all staff members on their shift follow all Oklahoma State Department of Health laws and that all H.A.C.C.P. regulations for cooling and storage are being followed throughout the entire kitchen.
- Records production and waste on a regular and consistent basis
- Must have knowledge of food preparation, sanitation standards and inventory and control systems.
- Excellent verbal communication skills to interact effectively with guests, owners and coworkers.
- Make sure daily, weekly and monthly cleaning lists are completed
- Maintains high standards for work areas and appearance
Responsible for supervising the Cooks in all aspects of restaurant/banquet production and kitchen sanitation. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with SMG's policies and applicable laws.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Education and/or Experience
- At least (2) years leadership experience in a restaurant or banquet facility preparing meals for a large volume of guests preferred
- Minimum of one (1) year direct experience cooking food required
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Basic supervisory skills.
- Oral and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills and ability to work with other staff members throughout the facility.
- Excellent organizational, planning, communication, time management and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to undertake and complete multiple tasks
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Constant standing, frequent walking
- Frequent stooping and bending
- Frequent lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 10-20 lbs.; occasionally lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 20-40 lbs.; rarely lifting/pushing/pulling objects up to 80-90 lbs. (with assistance)
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs.' to the waist.
- Manual dexterity required to work with items such as food, utensils, etc.
- Fast paced and quick turn around cooking. Works mostly in kitchen assigned to them.
- Moderate to extreme exposure to noise during events
- May be exposed to vibrations caused by extreme noise during events
- May be exposed to strobe lights / lasers during events
- May be exposed to extreme heat or cold environments
- Exposure to commercial culinary equipment including knives, slicers, etc.
NOTE: The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
Submit Resumes and Cover Letters to:
Human Resources Manager
Chesapeake Energy Arena-Cox Convention Center
One Myriad Gardens
Oklahoma City, Ok. 73102
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply.
SMG is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled